Skip to main content

Ready for Launch!!

I have asked myself several times over the last few months what the heck I was thinking. Back in January, I said "yes" to the Global Outreach office at our church. Yes meant that I was willing to lead a short-term mission trip to Mission of Hope Haiti. At the time, I envisioned a father/daughter mission trip. I pictured 8-10 dads and their girls, ranging from elementary to high school ages. I imagined an awesome bonding opportunity for the girls as older girls spoke into the hearts of the younger, and dads commiserating and learning how to deal with the ages to come. Cute. Fast forward to March and I find out that rather than dads and daughters, I will be leading a team of teenagers. This is a whole new level of crazy!!  

Here we are, about a week and a half from our departure to Haiti. I've got a great team of kids and I am genuinely excited to have the chance to get to know each of them. I am certain that this is the right trip, with the right team. By now, we have completed all of our training sessions which has taught us how to speak with locals using translators, how to communicate our own faith story, how to handle the messiness of team dynamics and even a bit about Haitian culture. In mid-May, we had our commissioning, where we enjoyed a potluck dinner of Haitian food at my house.  I've included some photos below from our potluck!

I would love to say that it has been easy.  I'd love to say that I have given this opportunity all of the attention that it deserves. I'd love to say that I have felt fully in command of the tasks that have come about with this trip. None of these statements are true. Just like everything in life, it has taken some blind faith, some willingness to let go, accepting help from others and a whole lot of grace in order to bring me and our team to the point where we are ready to board a plane next week to go to Haiti.

Speaking of planes... good grief! You know that I really love my job and love what I do. A big part of what I love about my job is getting on the road with the sales team and meeting our clients and prospects, and visiting cities all over the country. Truly, I love that! Having said that, I have had a ton of work travel leading up to this trip which has kept me on the scramble. It leaves me feeling like I have too much on my plate back at the office, wondering whether I have given my family enough time and made it really hard to get all the errands run so that we can prepare for our trip.  

At the end of the day, I know this... I know that we have prepared mentally, spiritually and physically for our trip. I know that so far, 2016 has been a year of challenges and that we have faced them confidently as a family. I know that my beautiful bride takes my wild hairs in stride (secretly, she may even kind of like it). I know that our team is excited about our trip and that Mission of Hope will be able to put us to work in great ways that will propel their vision for the village of Simonette.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Birthday pictures

Count Brenda and I into the category of fans of Portrait Innovations! Leading up to Grace's first birthday we took her to have her picture taken at Sears every 3 months so that we could watch her grow. Each time it was a difficult experience. Nobody at Sears seemed to be able to get Grace to interact at all. It usually came down to Brenda and I deciding on 1 decent picture out of the set to use. For Grace's 2 year old picture, we decided to try someplace different. We went to Portrait Innovations. Talk about a great experience. Just like in the previous times, Grace was fussy and not at all interested in having her picture taken. The difference was that this time, the photographer took her time to draw Grace in and make her feel more comfortable. We took some family shots and used lots of different props to keep Grace engaged. It also helped that they took a ton of pictures! Not only did they take lots of pictures, we used 2 different studio rooms and several diffe

Hailey Michelle Cornish is here!

It's 6:45 am right now and we are at the hospital, in pre -op, preparing for Hailey's arrival. We are so excited to welcome Hailey Michelle Cornish into our family. It's kind of funny how different Brenda's pregnancies have been. Part of it is because as first time parents with Grace, everything was new. With Hailey, there haven't been many surprises. We were blessed to have wonderful, healthy pregnancies with both, and fantastic care from Brenda's doctor and the staff at the hospital. With Grace, we had hoped for natural delivery. Since Grace ended up being a c-section, and the opportunity was available, we actually scheduled this day for Hailey quite some time ago. Since we actually still a week away from Hailey's actual due date, baring any emergency, we have known that today would be the day. With Grace, the change from a natural to a c-section delivery brought a bit of sadness. We had been here at the hospital for a couple of days, trying after being in

C'mon Mom, it's just PB and J!

When Mommy makes Grace a sandwich, she takes lots of time to cut the sandwich in small, manageable pieces for Grace. Mommy also has a thing for clean fingers, clean hair and hopefully clean ears. There is certainly nothing wrong with this approach. I applaud her enthusiasm for Grace's manners. However, sometimes... well, come on... really. It is just peanut butter and jelly. At this point, I should probably take a moment to thank the sponsors of this particular blog entry, Peter Pan Peanut Butter and Gramma's Strawberry Preserves. Gramma's Strawberry Preserves and Peach Butter is only available at a small pantry in Tyler, TX. She doesn't advertise, she doesn't sell her products online, heck, she doesn't even sell her products period... But those in the know, know where to go to get their jelly fix. Since I am down to my last jar of Strawberry Preserves, and I am completely out of Peach Butter, it must be about time for another journey to East Texas. Since Gramm